The Aborfield barn from the 1500 utilises a typical medieval cruck frame structure. It was dismantled in 1977 and rebuilt as a museum in 1980 at the Chiltern open air museum where it currently stands.
CRUCK FRAME STRUCTURE
Cruck Frame construction was a typical wood frame construction used in medieval England as early as the 13th century. A cruck blade is a curved beam made from a single piece of wood. This is split along its length to produce an identical pair of blades which are connected together to make a single frame. These frames are then repeated in sequence to the building length required. The lowest horizontal timber beam supports the ends of the crucks.
For barn structures, the space between the frames were often filled with woven split oak panels and upright posts. The green oak is naturally springing, allowing it to be easily woven together. The gaps between the panels allow for the circulation of air necessary for keeping grain dry.
Although typically made from Oak, elm and other locally available timber was used. The roofing material (typically straw) is supported on rafters and split oak battens. The frame is held together by oak pegs with square spurs. Iron connectors were not used due to cost and as the tannic acid in Oak would affect the iron.
The entire structure is placed on flint wall, which was a locally available, material. The stone has the main purpose of preventing groundwater rotting the timber structure.